Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    Jul 16, 2024  
2015-2016 Undergraduate Catalog 
2015-2016 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

College of Education

Main Office
Matthews Hall, Room 214

Mailing address:
1155 Union Circle #311337
Denton, TX 76203-5017
Fax: 940-565-4415

Web site:

Student Advising Office
Gwenn Pasco, Assistant Dean
Matthews Hall, Room 105

Web site:

Jerry R. Thomas, Dean

Lisbeth Dixon-Krauss, Associate Dean
Bertina Combes, Associate Dean

Our mission

The College of Education prepares professionals and scholars who contribute to the advancement of education, health and human development.

Our vision

We aspire to be leaders known regionally, nationally and internationally for our expertise and excellence in research, teaching, outreach, and solutions for education and human well-being. Through our efforts we improve the lives of the citizens of Texas, the nation and the world.


We generate research, disseminate knowledge and prepare a diverse body of scholars. Our graduates become leaders in their fields while enhancing the development and effective functioning of individuals, schools and families.

We improve professional teaching and learning for K–12 schools. Helping teachers teach and students learn is central to our mission. We work with schools and school systems to prepare effective teachers and other professionals who help all students learn; and we prepare principals, superintendents and other school leaders to help in achieving this goal.

We develop leaders for community colleges and universities. We provide education and professional development for individuals who serve or will serve as administrators, faculty and scholars in higher education institutions, governmental agencies, policy or research centers, and professional associations that conduct postsecondary education in the United States and globally.

We improve the functioning of individuals in their physical, health and leisure behaviors. We accomplish this through the academic preparation of professionals, contributions to the professional body of knowledge, and the provision of service to the university and community at large and through programs that facilitate an enhanced quality of life.

We prepare counselors who serve the public and humanity at large. We prepare highly competent counseling professionals for work in schools, communities, colleges, business and industry. Our research seeks to use counseling for developing holistic wellness with at-risk and diverse populations. We provide humanitarian assistance to academic, professional and public communities.

We prepare family and child development experts who serve the community and society. We help families interact effectively with schools and other community agencies to improve life and to promote well being.

The College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) (2010 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20036-1023; 202-466-7496 []) and the State Board for Educator Certification ( The program in counseling is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) (5999 Stevenson Avenue; Alexandria, VA 22304; 703-823-9800 ext. 301). The program in recreation and leisure studies is accredited by the National Recreation and Park Association/American Association of Leisure and Recreation Council on Accreditation (22377 Belmont Ridge Road, Ashburn, VA 20148; 703-858-0784).

The College of Education offers 5 bachelor’s, 12 master’s and 7 doctoral degrees in four academic departments: Counseling and Higher Education; Educational Psychology; Kinesiology, Health Promotion and Recreation; and Teacher Education and Administration. Some financial support for research is available from external grants and faculty research funds administered by the Office of Research and Academic Grants. The areas of research are described by each department.

The following programs of study, organized by department, are available in the college.

Department of Counseling and Higher Education

Janice Holden, Chair
Stovall Hall, Room 155
Phone: 940-565-2910
Web site:

Program areas:

Higher Education

Department of Educational Psychology

Abbas Tashakkori, Chair
Matthews Hall, Room 316
Phone: 940-565-2093
Web site:

Program areas:

Development and Family Studies
Educational Research
School Psychology
Special Education

Department of Kinesiology, Health Promotion and Recreation

Allen Jackson, Chair
Physical Education Building, Room 209
Phone: 940-565-2651
Web site:

Program areas:

Health Promotion
Recreation and Leisure Studies

Department of Teacher Education and Administration

James D. Laney, Chair
Matthews Hall, Room 206U
Phone: 940-565-2920
Web site:

Program areas:

Curriculum and Instruction
Early Childhood Studies
Educational Leadership
Interdisciplinary Studies (teacher certification)
Language, Literacy and Bilingual Education
Secondary Education

University Core Curriculum requirements and degree requirements

The University of North Texas core curriculum is listed in the “University Core Curriculum requirements ” in the Academics section of this catalog. Each program within the College of Education requires specific courses to satisfy particular degree requirements. Occasionally a course required for a degree may also satisfy a requirement of the core. In addition to taking the required course, a student may elect to take a different course from among those available to fulfill that core requirement; doing so, however, may add to the total number of hours required for the degree and may cause students to incur excess hour penalties. Students who have questions regarding degree requirements and course requirements should consult a degree program advisor in the Student Advising Office, Matthews Hall, Room 105.

Student Advising Office

The Student Advising Office helps students in their academic careers by providing academic advising, preparing degree plans, graduation application processing, and certification information and processing. Contact the Student Advising Office, Matthews Hall, Room 105, 940-565-2736.

Programs of study

The college offers undergraduate and graduate programs in the following areas:

  • Bachelor of Science with majors in development and family studies; interdisciplinary studies (early childhood through grade 6 or grades 4 through 8); kinesiology; health promotion; and recreation and leisure studies;
  • Master of Education with majors in counseling; curriculum and instruction; educational leadership; higher education; secondary education; and special education;
  • Master of Science with majors in counseling; development and family studies; early childhood studies; educational psychology; higher education; kinesiology; and recreation and leisure studies;
  • Doctor of Philosophy with majors in counseling; curriculum and instruction; educational research; higher education; and special education;
  • Doctor of Education with majors in educational leadership and higher education.

General requirements for each undergraduate degree are listed in the appropriate departmental section of this catalog. Requirements for graduate degrees are listed in the UNT Graduate Catalog.

Teacher certification

Students planning to teach in elementary (EC–6) or middle schools (4–8) must major in interdisciplinary studies (see Department of Teacher Education and Administration ).

Students planning to teach in secondary schools (7–12) must earn a major and degree in the academic discipline in which they plan to teach and take a minor in secondary education to qualify for a teaching certificate. Students should check with the appropriate department for degree requirements.

The State of Texas Standard Teaching Certificate requires completion of an approved four-year degree program, passing of the appropriate TExES state examinations and clearance on a criminal record search. Students must meet all prerequisite requirements and apply for admission to the teacher education program prior to taking education courses. Continuation in the teacher education program is contingent upon the results of criminal background checks and successful progress in teacher education courses.

A minimum of 12 semester hours must be completed in residence before a recommendation from UNT is made for any teaching certificate. For the University of North Texas to recommend an undergraduate student for teacher certification, additional teaching field, or area of specialization, that student must have successfully (1) completed the approved teacher education program for the preparation of early childhood, middle grades, secondary or all-level teachers and met the GPA and semester credit hour requirements; (2) completed student teaching; and (3) passed appropriate sections of the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES), as applicable.

The State offers the TExES exam several times each long term/semester and at least once in the summer. Contact the TExES Advising Office, Matthews Hall, Room 103, for further information (940-369-8601). Although a student’s completion of an approved program or specialization for a degree and/or certificate should prepare the student for such proficiency tests, the College of Education cannot, and does not, guarantee that students will pass such tests.

Students who have completed all requirements must apply for teaching certificates online (see In some cases, teacher service records may be required. For information contact the Student Advising Office in Matthews Hall, Room 105.

Teaching certificates

The awarding of teaching certificates is a function of the State Board for Educator Certification and is contingent upon a recommendation by the College of Education. The college is approved to offer the following initial certificates:

Early Childhood through Grade Six (certifies grades EC–6)

  • Generalist
  • Bilingual Generalist (certifies grades bilingual EC–6)
  • ESL Generalist (certifies grades ESL EC–6)
  • EC–6 Generalist and Special Education (certifies EC–6 Generalist and EC–12 Special Education)

Grades Four through Eight (certifies grades 4–8)

  • English Language Arts and Reading and 4–8 ESL
  • Mathematics and 4–8 ESL
  • Science and 4–8 ESL
  • Social Studies and 4–8 ESL

Standard Secondary (certifies grades 7–12) and All-Level (EC–12)

At the time this catalog went to press, UNT was authorized to recommend secondary and all-level teacher certification for students who have completed a baccalaureate degree in the following content areas:

  • Secondary content areas: chemistry; dance; English language arts and reading; family and consumer sciences; history; hospitality, nutrition and food sciences; human development and family studies; journalism; life science; mathematics; physical sciences; physics/mathematics; science; social studies; and speech.
  • All-level content areas: art, French, German, music, physical education, Spanish and theatre.

Although teacher certification programs share many commonalities, what applies to one certificate or grade level is not necessarily applicable to another. Also, changes to existing teacher standards, content areas and certificate levels continue to be made by the State Board for Educator Certification.

Students are encouraged to schedule an appointment with an advisor in the Student Advising Office, Matthews Hall, Room 105, or check online at for the current information regarding specific certificate requirements and any pending changes. The SAO sees students by appointment only, except during the regular registration period each term/semester when they accept drop-in visits. Appointment times fill quickly and students are encouraged to schedule early. Appointments can be made up to two weeks in advance.

Professional certificates

See Graduate Catalog.

Student teaching

Elementary, middle school and secondary certification (early childhood through 6th grade, 4th through 8th grades, or 7th through 12th grades) require student teaching. All-level certification requires student teaching at both the EC–6 and 7–12 levels. A special education teaching field requires student teaching in a special education setting. Student teaching requirements include attendance at required seminars.

Student teaching is to be completed during the student’s senior year as a full-day assignment in a school for an entire fall or spring term/semester in a Professional Development School (PDS) setting. Student teaching and PDS II do not count as full-time status for financial aid nor can students work at other jobs during student teaching. Consequently, students should plan ahead to cover their financial needs during student teaching or PDS II semester. Students participating in the Professional Development School program will complete their student teaching as an extension of their early field experience. The PDS Site Coordinator will determine specific placements.

Evaluation of student teaching is on a pass/no pass basis. To be recommended for teacher certification by UNT, a student must meet the following requirements prior to student teaching.

  1. A formal date of admission to the teacher education program at UNT must be obtained.
  2. For EC–6 and 4–8 student teachers, students must complete all prerequisites and have a C or better in all education courses (EDEC, EDEE, EDRE, EDSE, EDUC, DFST, etc.). Moreover, they must also have a GPA of 2.75 across all pedagogy courses. A minimum GPA of 2.75 is also required in each area: UNT core, academic major, as well as pedagogy. No courses taken during the student teaching term/semester will be used to determine eligibility to student teach.
  3. For secondary and all-level student teachers, a minimum GPA of 2.75 must be maintained in each area (academic major and pedagogy), and in all college work completed at UNT, as well as a cumulative GPA of 2.75 for all colleges attended. Students must earn a C or better in all education courses (EDEC, EDEE, EDRE, EDSE, EDUC, DFST, etc.).
  4. Secondary and all-level student teachers must have completed all the required course work in the teaching field. Elementary (EC–6 and 4–8) student teachers must have completed all program course work, exclusive of student teaching and EDSP 4350  (as required for students seeking 4–8 and EC–6 Generalist certification.
  5. Student teachers must be in residence at UNT and have earned at least 6 semester hours of resident credit in education at UNT.
  6. Review and approval from the Admission, Review and Retention Committee must be granted in special cases related to candidate readiness for student teaching.

For information regarding student teaching, please contact the PDS Coordinator, Matthews Hall, Room 206J, phone 940-369-7217.

Centers and clinics

The Center for Interdisciplinary Research and Analysis offers services to graduate students and faculty members in the College of Education. Services include assistance in research design, measurements and analysis of data using either the SPSS or SAS statistical packages. Assistance also is given in the interpretation of computer output and display of data in the form of tables or charts.

The Center for the Study of Educational Reform conducts research and serves as an information clearinghouse on educational reform initiatives. Created in 1990, the center has received grants to conduct a statewide survey on education reform and to conduct research on private and public school choice programs. The center also provides doctoral students with opportunities for dissertation research.

The Child and Family Resource Clinic (CFRC) is an interdisciplinary diagnostic and remedial clinic serving children, adults and families from the North Texas area. Services offered include interdisciplinary assessment, counseling, reading instruction, speech/language therapy and parent education classes. Fees for all services are based on a sliding scale. CFRC provides clinical training opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students in counseling, reading and speech/language/hearing.

Other centers are listed under the departments with which they are associated.

Endowed chairs

The Don A. Buchholz Endowed Chair in Community College Education in the Bill J. Priest Center for Community College Education began its service to two-year colleges and to the linkage between two- and four-year colleges and universities in the fall of 2000. While the chair and the center’s primary function is to provide graduate education, research, and development activities for institutions, administrators and faculty in two-year colleges, the chair and center seek to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the linkage between two- and four-year colleges and universities in the provision of education to students in post-secondary education.

The Meadows Chair for Excellence in Education was established and funded by the Meadows Foundation to attract distinguished scholars to the College of Education to teach, interact with faculty and students, and engage in scholarly work. Involving such scholars in the academic community should enhance professional development of the faculty, improve the quality of education for students and ultimately lead to a better-prepared Texas public school student body.

The Dr. Mike Moses Chair in Educational Administration was established in honor of a major figure in educational administration in Texas. Dr. Moses, for whom it is named, was Commissioner of Education for Texas, Deputy Chancellor for Systems Operations at Texas Tech University System, and Superintendent of the Dallas Independent School District. The chair position supports the chair holder’s scholarship and also provides resources for building UNT’s educational administration programs and bringing increased recognition to the graduate programs.

The Velma Schmidt Endowed Chair in Early Childhood Development was established and fully funded as a continuing memorial to Dr. Velma Schmidt and her work on behalf of young children. The holder of the chair is responsible for teaching and mentoring graduate and undergraduate students, collaboration with faculty and schools, participation in professional and scholarly activities, and providing leadership in the university and community.

Course listings

Independent study courses numbered 4900-4910 are open to advanced undergraduate students who are capable of developing a problem independently. A project is chosen by the student and instructor and developed through conferences and approved activities under the direction of the instructor, who may require a term paper. These courses are not open to graduate students and are offered only when other required courses are unavailable. Prerequisites include consent of instructor and consent of the appropriate authority.

Individual courses of instruction are subject to change or withdrawal at any time and may not be offered each term/semester or every year. Any course may be withdrawn from current offerings if the number of registrants is too small to justify conducting it.


Department of Counseling and Higher Education

Go to information for Department of Counseling and Higher Education.

Department of Educational Psychology

Go to information for Department of Educational Psychology.

Department of Kinesiology, Health Promotion and Recreation

Go to information for Department of Kinesiology, Health Promotion and Recreation.

Department of Teacher Education and Administration

Go to information for Department of Teacher Education and Administration.