Dec 03, 2023
Option I: 36-Hour Program with Thesis
Option II: 36-Hour Program with Scholarly Papers
Option III: 36-Hour Program with Written Exam
Option IV: 36-Hour Joint Program with Professional Development Project
Students approved for Option IV must take their second year of course work at UAEM-Toluca, Mexico. Students must complete LING 5040 with a B or higher as a prerequisite to entering the joint program.
Course Requirements: First Year
Course Requirements: Second Year
- Seminario de aplicación innovadora del conocimiento (Seminar on the Innovative Application of Knowledge [of Linguistics])
- Teoría y diseño curricular (Curriculum Theory and Design)
- Enseñanza de lenguas extrajeras (Teaching Foreign Languages)
- Evaluación (Evaluation)
- 6 horas de temas selectos (6 hours of electives)
Electives are to be chosen from the following UAEM courses:
- Semántica y pragmatíca (Semantics and Pragmatics)
- Métodos de la enseñanza del inglés como segunda lengua (Methods of Teaching ESL)
- Métodos de campo en lingüística (Methods of Field Work in Linguistics)
- Sociolingüística (Sociolinguistics)
- Professional Development Project
During the second year, students will begin work on their professional development project in práctica. The project will consist of two elements: a paper reporting the project and an oral defense. In the paper, students will identify specific teaching challenges related to ESL/EFL teaching, e.g., problems with teaching skill areas, success of classroom activities, or issues of classroom management. The paper must include the following:
- A full description of the problem to be addressed.
- A review of current research on the topic.
- Possible solutions to the teaching challenge in light of contemporary methodological paradigms.
- Evidence of the joint MA student implementing solutions in the classroom during the practicum for example, detailed lesson plans and description of classroom activities and assessments.
- Analysis of the success of the revised approach to teaching, including comparison of results of student assessments under different methods of teaching.
After students complete the paper, their committee will conduct an oral defense of the professional development project. At least three members of the committee will be faculty from UNT; it will also have at least one committee member on faculty at UAEM.
Thesis and Scholarly Papers Requirement
A student is permitted to write a thesis or scholarly papers only with the permission of the director of graduate studies and a major professor. Before registering for thesis hours (LING 5950 ) or problems in lieu of thesis (LING 5920 and LING 5930 ), a student must have met the foreign language requirement and passed the MA comprehensive exam.