Apr 22, 2018
Entering students interested in majoring in the College of Visual Arts and Design will be classified as pre-majors.
Interdisciplinary Art and Design Studies
To be admitted to the interdisciplinary art and design studies major (and to be eligible to enroll in advanced art courses), a pre-major must meet all the following requirements:
Complete a minimum of 30 hours of college courses (including the following) and:
- Complete the following with a grade of C or better:
- Have at least a 2.5 GPA on required ART courses; and
- Have a minimum 2.0 UNT grade point average.
General Degree Requirements
Candidates for the Bachelor of Arts with a major in interdisciplinary art and design studies must meet the following requirements.
Hours Required and General/College Requirements:
A minimum of 120 total semester hours, 42 of which must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Arts degree as specified in the “General University Requirements ” in the Academics section of this catalog and the College of Visual Arts and Design requirements.
Completion of at least 48 hours of art to include:
Interdisciplinary Art and Design Studies (IADS) CVAD Core and IADS Capstone:
12 hours of advanced art history courses of which 3 hours must be taken from:
6 hours from:
- ANTH 2100
- ARCH 2500
- any 1000- or 2000-level ART, ADES, or ASTU course.
12 hours from:
(With at least 9 hours outside of the College of Visual Arts and Design)
Most external courses have prerequisites and/or are open only to students minoring in those disciplines. Consult current course descriptions for more information.
Other Course Requirements:
Hours required for electives may vary based on course selection and the University Core Curriculum Requirements. Electives may be required to satisfy the advanced hour requirement (42) and/or the minimum total hours required for the degree. For specific information see an academic advisor in the College of Visual Arts and Design Student Services Office, Art Building, Room 111.
- 24 advanced hours must be completed at UNT.
- 18 hours of art (including 12 advanced) must be completed at UNT.
- Transfer course work to be substituted for required art courses must be approved by a student’s faculty advisor during the degree plan process.
- A 2.5 grade point average must be maintained in all art courses; only grades of C or better in art courses will count toward degree requirements.