Oct 01, 2020
The art history program enhances your understanding of past and contemporary visual art forms. We teach you about global artistic production, relevant technologies, critical methods, learning theories and innovative approaches.
Entering students interested in majoring in the College of Visual Arts and Design will be classified as pre-majors.
To be admitted to the art history major (and to be eligible to enroll in advanced art courses), a pre-major must meet all the following requirements:
Complete a minimum of 30 hours of college courses (including the following) and;
- Complete the following with a grade of C or better:
- Complete the Art History Entrance Event;
- Have at least a 2.5 GPA on required ART courses; and
- Have a minimum 2.0 UNT grade point average.
General degree requirements
Candidates for the Bachelor of Arts with a major in art history must meet the following requirements.
In addition to the university admission requirements, applicants to the College of Visual Arts and Design must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Freshman applicants must have a verbal SAT score of 450 or higher, or a verbal ACT score of 18 or higher.
- Transfer freshman applicants (with fewer than 30 hours) must have a verbal SAT score of 450 or higher and a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Transfer applicants with more than 30 hours must have a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher.
- Applicants have the opportunity to submit a one-page support document/image that may be taken into consideration during the admission process. At the time of application, this optional document/image should be submitted to https://art.unt.edu/forms/CVAD_entry
- Under exceptional circumstances applicants who do not meet the preceding requirements may be admitted into the College of Visual Arts and Design based on the strength of this optional support document/image.
Hours required and general/college requirements
A minimum of 120 total semester hours, 42 of which must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Arts degree as specified in the “University Core Curriculum ” in the Academics section of this catalog and the College of Visual Arts and Design requirements.
Completion of at least 48 hours of art to include
21 hours of advanced art history courses
(Numbered 4801 through 4844) of which at least 9 hours must be taken from the following group:
(Other AEAH advanced art history courses addressing art before the year 1800 may be substituted with the faculty advisor’s permission)
A minimum of 18 hours, of which 6 must be advanced, from a field outside the College of Visual Arts and Design. Check with the minor department for specific requirements. The art history faculty strongly recommends that students minor in the foreign language relevant to their career plans in art history. Students double-majoring in art history and any other major are not required to have a minor.
Hours required for electives may vary based on course selection and the University Core Curriculum requirements. Electives may be required to satisfy the advanced hour requirement (42) and/or the minimum total hours required for the degree. For specific information see an academic advisor in the College of Visual Arts and Design Student Services Office, Art Building, Room 111.
- 24 advanced hours must be completed at UNT.
- 18 hours of art (including 12 advanced) must be completed at UNT.
- Transfer course work to be substituted for required art courses must be approved by a student’s faculty advisor during the degree plan process.
- A 2.5 grade point average must be maintained in all art courses; only grades of C or better in art courses will count toward degree requirements.