Mar 29, 2020
In addition to the university admission requirements, applicants to the College of Visual Arts and Design must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Freshman applicants must have a verbal SAT score of 450 or higher, or a verbal ACT score of 18 or higher.
- Transfer freshman applicants (with fewer than 30 hours) must have a verbal SAT score of 450 or higher and a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Transfer applicants with more than 30 hours must have a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher.
- Applicants have the opportunity to submit a one-page support document/image that may be taken into consideration during the admission process. At the time of application, this optional document/image should be submitted to https://art.unt.edu/forms/CVAD_entry
- Under exceptional circumstances applicants who do not meet the preceding requirements may be admitted into the College of Visual Arts and Design based on the strength of this optional support document/image.
Entering students interested in majoring in the College of Visual Arts and Design will be classified as pre-majors. To be admitted to the studio art major (and to be eligible to enroll in advanced art courses), a pre-major must meet all the following requirements:
Complete a minimum of 30 hours of college courses (including the following) and:
- Complete the following with a grade of C or better
- Complete the 2000-level course in the ASTU concentration of your choice with a grade of B or higher (for printmaking, the beginning ASTU course is a 3000-level course);
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA on the required Art courses; and
- Have a minimum 2.0 GPA overall.
Note: photography and watercolor also require selection through entry portfolio (as described on web site).
General degree requirements
Candidates for the Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree with a major in studio art will meet the following requirements:
Hours required and general/college requirements
A minimum of 120 total semester hours of which 42 must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree as specified under the “General University Requirements ” in the Academic section of this catalog and the College of Visual Arts and Design requirements.
Completion of at least 78 hours of arts to include a minimum of 18 hours in a prescribed field and 24 hours of art core (required for all studio majors):
New Media Art concentration
21 hours (15 advanced) of any non-new media classes taken in ART, AEAH, ADES, ASTU and up to 6 hours from MUCP.
No minor is required.
Hours required for electives may vary based on course selection and the University Core Curriculum Requirements. Electives may be required to satisfy the advanced hour requirement (42) and/or the minimum total hours required for the degree. For specific information see an academic advisor in the College of Visual Arts and Design Student Services Office, Art Building, Room 111.
- 24 advanced hours must be completed at UNT.
- 36 hours of art (including at least 12 advanced hours) must be completed at UNT.
- Transfer course work substituted for required UNT art courses must be approved by a student’s faculty advisor during the degree audit process.
- A 2.5 grade point average must be maintained in all art courses; only a grade of C (2.0) or better in art courses will count toward degree requirements.