Jun 03, 2020
Bachelor of Music
Click here to view the general “Bachelor of Music ” requirements within the “College of Music ” section.
Major in Performance
The following choices are available under performance.
- Piano (performance)
- Piano (pedagogy)
- Organ (performance)
- Organ (church music)
- Orchestral Instruments
- Strings: violin, viola, cello and double bass
- Winds: flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, woodwinds (a combination of all five instruments), trumpet, trombone euphonium, horn and tuba
- Classical Guitar
General requirements for majors in Performance
Students who have not fulfilled the following requirements at the beginning of the fifth term/semester are not allowed to major in applied music.
- Completion of at least 60 semester hours with an average of C or better.
- Completion of
- Completion of sophomore applied major study, or equivalent for transfer students, with at least a grade of B.
- Successful completion of Upper Division Examination.
Graduation requirements for majors in Performance
- Completion of 20–32 hours in the major instrument/voice. (Number of hours varies according to the instrument.)
- Completion of 6–16 hours supplementing the major instrument (literature, pedagogy, diction, chamber music, advanced conducting).
- Demonstration of proficiency in solo playing in public recitals, and in ensemble and chamber music, as appropriate.
- Presentation of senior recital, content approved in advance and public performance graded by faculty.
- Completion of 6–12 hours in upper-level MUTH, MUCP and MUED. Credit hours and courses vary by performance area.
- Other music and general electives 3–10 hours (see program outlines below for specific recommendations).
- A total of 125–137 hours are required.
Hours required and general/college requirements
A minimum of 134 hours, of which 42 must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Music degree as specified in the “University Core Curriculum ” in the Academics section of this catalog and the College of Music requirements.
Major requirements, 37 hours
(ITAL 1010 and 1020 may be substituted for 2040 and 2050)
Music laboratory, 8 hours
20 hours in music theory, including:
Plus 3 hours selected from
8 hours (3 advanced).
- All non-keyboard majors must enroll in secondary piano each long term/semester until proficiency is passed.
- Prior to the fifth term/semester, the student must have completed diction courses in English, Italian, German and French, and one year of foreign language (see degree outline, in this section).
- Presentation of a junior recital (one-half length).
- Presentation of a senior recital that includes a group of Italian, French, German and English songs and an aria from opera or oratorio.