Feb 24, 2024
The health professions student development certificate facilitates the process of preparing for admission to a health professional school. Not only will students strengthen the basic sections of a professional school application, but they will also be challenged to think critically about their future role in healthcare. Since UNT does not offer a pre-health major, this certificate will provide realistic expectations and valuable preparation through four categories: healthcare competency development, community service, healthcare experience, and application awareness and enhancement.
The health professions student development certificate is open to all majors at UNT and will be administered through the college and schools in collaboration with the Office of Health Professions.
Healthcare Competency Development (academic component)
18 credit hours total; two courses must be taken in one competency area (oral communication, written communication, cultural awareness, ethical responsibilty, leadership and business), and one course in the remaining four competency areas.
9 hours must be taken at the advanced level.
A grade of B or better is required in all coursework required for the certificate.
Students must obtain 100 hours of healthcare volunteerism or general community service. Students will submit a basic log of hours to the Office of Health Professions, along with signatures from the organization(s) where they served.
Students are required to shadow a professional (or professionals) in their field for at least 50 hours. Students will submit a basic log of hours to the Office of Health Professions, along with signatures from the professional(s).
- Students must attend at least three events or activities hosted by the Office of Health Professions. Examples of appropriate health professions events and activities are:
- “What Should I Be Doing Now?” Seminars
- Application Seminar
- HPAC Seminar
- Personal Statement Workshop
- Mock Interview with a counselor in the Office of Health Professions
- Guest Speakers
- Health Professions “Spring Swing” Academic Fair
An approval form for each health professions event or activity that the student attended is required. A signature must come from the individual who hosted the event.
- Students must submit a 5,000 character essay addressing what they learned from all four categories of the certificate and how their overall experience will make them a strong healthcare professional. 5,000 characters includes spaces (as emulating most application services).
- Students must have a 3.25 overall GPA at the time of certificate completion.
- In order to formally earn the certificate, students must submit the following documents to the Office of Health Professions:
- A log of hours for community service and shadowing. Both logs must include signatures from appropriate individuals.