Nov 19, 2017
Entering students interested in majoring in the College of Visual Arts and Design will be classified as pre-majors. To be admitted to the studio art major (and to be eligible to enroll in advanced art courses), a pre-major must meet all the following requirements:
Complete a minimum of 30 hours of college courses (including the following) and:
- Complete the following with a grade of C or better
- Complete the 2000-level course in the ASTU concentration of your choice with a grade of B or higher (for printmaking, the beginning ASTU course is a 3000-level course);
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA on the required Art courses; and
- Have a minimum 2.0 GPA overall.
Note: photography and watercolor also require selection through entry portfolio (as described on web site).
General Degree Requirements
Candidates for the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with a major in studio art will meet the following requirements:
Hours Required and General/College Requirements:
A minimum of 120 total semester hours of which 42 must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree as specified in the “General University Requirements ” in the Academics section of this catalog and the College of Visual Arts and Design requirements.
Completion of at least 78 hours of art to include, a minimum of 18 hours in a prescribed field and 24 hours of art core (required for all studio majors):
Specific additional requirements for each concentration are listed below:
Midpoint review administered after ASTU 2215 ; 6 hours of ASTU 3210 and 6 hours of ASTU 4210 may be applied toward major; other repeatable courses count toward the major only once. Exit review conducted during student’s final enrollment in 4000-level painting course.
Metalsmithing and Jewelry:
9 hours from:
(Only 6 hours of either will count toward the degree)
6 hours advanced art history:
9 hours intermediate painting to include:
Midpoint review administered during enrollment in ASTU 3427 . No more than 6 hours of ASTU 3417 and 9 hours of ASTU 4417 may be applied toward the major; other repeatable courses count toward the major only once. Exit review conducted during student’s final enrollment in ART 4417.
No minor is required.
Hours required for electives may vary based on course selection and the University Core Curriculum Requirements. Electives may be required to satisfy the advanced hour requirement (42) and/or the minimum total hours required for the degree. For specific information see an academic advisor in the College of Visual Arts and Design Student Services Office, Art Building, Room 111.
- 24 advanced hours must be completed at UNT.
- 36 hours of art (including at least 12 advanced hours) must be completed at UNT.
- Transfer course work substituted for required UNT art courses must be approved by a student’s faculty advisor during the degree audit process.
- A 2.5 grade point average must be maintained in all art courses; only a grade of C (2.0) or better in art courses will count toward degree requirements