May 25, 2018
Hours Required and General/College of Education Requirements:
A minimum of 120 semester hours, of which 42 must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree as specified in the “General University Requirements ” in the Academics section of this catalog and the College of Education requirements.
All recreation and leisure studies majors:
Recreation and Leisure Studies:
Other Course Requirements:
Internship and Professional Development, 15 credit hours:
Therapeutic Recreation Interest Area:
(not currently accepting students) (18 hours)
Nine additional hours selected from
Program Management Interest Area:
18 hours (6 advanced) in a field outside of recreation and leisure studies, chosen in consultation with an advisor.
Sport Management Interest Area:
0–2 hours chosen in consultation with an advisor.
- A minimum grade of C is required in each recreation course, and a 2.5 GPA is required on courses in the major. A minimum UNT GPA of 2.0 and an overall GPA of 2.0 are required for graduation. Overall GPA includes all course work transferred plus that taken at UNT.
- Each recreation and leisure studies student is required to complete a total of 15 credit hours of internship and professional development [12 credit hours of on-site experience (RECR 4100) and RECR 4150].
- Program management and sport management students must complete a minimum of 480 clock hours to meet this requirement.
- Therapeutic recreation students must complete 600 hours during 15 consecutive weeks, necessitating doing the on-site internship during a fall or spring term/semester.
- RECR 4100 - Internship in Recreation, Parks and Leisure Services (12 hours) is required of all majors in an approved setting appropriate for their career interest area. The student must meet several requirements prior to enrollment in this course, including:
- Completion of the required recreation major courses;
- A minimum of 2.25 overall GPA; minimum of 2.50 GPA in all recreation courses, with a C or better in each recreation course;
- Verification of 400 hours of paid or voluntary experience in a recreation, park, or leisure service agency within the past 48 months;
- Competency demonstrated through current certification in Standard First Aid and CPR, and lifeguarding or water safety instruction, or a comparable alternative certification; and
- Departmental permission to enroll in the course.
The internship is a full-time (i.e., 40 hours per week) affiliation with an approved agency. It is usually taken during the last term/semester.
1 Required for Therapeutic Recreation Interest Area [not accepting students currently].
2 Required for Program Management Interest Area.
3 Required for Sport Management Interest Area.
Students are encouraged to see their academic or faculty advisor and the department degree audit advisor each term/semester for help with program decisions and enrollment.