Dec 13, 2018
Bachelor of Music
Click here to view the general “Bachelor of Music ” requirements within the “College of Music ” section.
Major in Performance
The following choices are available under performance.
- Piano (performance)
- Piano (pedagogy)
- Organ (performance)
- Organ (church music)
- Orchestral Instruments
- Strings: violin, viola, cello and double bass
- Winds: flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, woodwinds (a combination of all five instruments), trumpet, trombone euphonium, horn and tuba
- Classical Guitar
General Requirements for Majors in Performance
Students who have not fulfilled the following requirements at the beginning of the fifth term/semester are not allowed to major in applied music.
- Completion of at least 60 semester hours with an average of C or better.
- Completion of
- Completion of sophomore applied major study, or equivalent for transfer students, with at least a grade of B.
- Successful completion of Upper Division Examination.
Graduation Requirements for Majors in Performance
- Completion of 20–32 hours in the major instrument/voice. (Number of hours varies according to the instrument.)
- Completion of 6–16 hours supplementing the major instrument (literature, pedagogy, diction, chamber music, advanced conducting).
- Demonstration of proficiency in solo playing in public recitals, and in ensemble and chamber music, as appropriate.
- Presentation of senior recital, content approved in advance and public performance graded by faculty.
- Completion of 6–12 hours in upper-level MUTH, MUCP and MUED. Credit hours and courses vary by performance area.
- Other music and general electives 3–10 hours (see program outlines below for specific recommendations).
- A total of 125–137 hours are required.
Hours Required and General/College Requirements:
A minimum of 129 hours, of which 42 must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Music degree as specified in the “General University Requirements ” in the Academics section of this catalog and the College of Music requirements.
34 hours, including:
20–26 hours in music theory, including:
Attendance at all area departmental recitals is required. Unexcused absences will result in the final applied major course grade being lowered. For additional information, consult the divisional and area handbooks.