The converged broadcast media major has been developed by the RTVF department to prepare UNT students for professional careers in media convergence, broadcast television and its tandem internet and social media affiliates, internet based news and information operations, as well as live location sports, entertainment and political events coverage.
The major integrates a broad and thorough overview of the ever-changing electronic news media, with intermediate and advanced courses in writing and reporting for radio, television and the internet; interviewing and performance; shooting and editing for television; television and radio news producing; news media analysis; electronic news management; plus classes in legal and ethical issues and covering cross-cultural communities. Students further develop their skills through NTTV, KNTU-FM and their web sites. An optional certificate in television news producing is also available within the major.
To qualify, students must successfully complete the WritePlacer essay exam with a grade of (5) or better and must complete at least 42 hours of college courses before applying for major status (see “Admission to the Major ”). Pre-major courses must be completed with a minimum 2.75 GPA before applying for major status. Students must have and maintain a minimum 2.75 GPA in all university courses to complete this major.
Admission to the CBCM Major
Only CBCM and RTVF pre-majors (PCBM and PRTF respectively), CBCM majors and RTVF majors may take RTVF and CBCM courses. Entering students interested in majoring in CBCM will be classified as pre-majors and will be advised by the RTVF department. Admission to the university or to pre-major status does not guarantee admission to the CBCM major. The RTVF department’s pre-major requirement must be fulfilled before a student may apply for CBCM major status. Entering students who elect to pursue the major in converged broadcast media will be classified as pre-majors (PCBM) until they fulfill the pre-major requirements. To do this, a student must successfully complete 42 hours of college courses including the CBCM/RTVF requirements listed below with a UNT grade point average of 2.75 or better and a C or better in each CBCM/RTVF course. Students may apply for CBCM major status when all of the required classes have been completed.
Before applying for CBCM major status, a pre-major must first:
- Complete at least 42 hours of college courses including:
- A grade of 5 or better on WritePlacer essay exam (see RTVF department for details);
- COMM 1010 or equivalent (contact RTVF department for list);
- The English composition requirement of the University Core Curriculum with a grade of C or better;
- The College of Arts and Sciences math requirement (see approved list , or the placement equivalent);
- The foreign language requirement at least through the 1020 level (or the placement equivalent); and
- The following courses with a grade of C or better.
Minimum Standards for Continued Enrollment in RTVF/CBCM Courses
- RTVF 1310 , RTVF 2210 and CBCM 2400 with a grade of C or better. Students earning less than a C in any one of these three courses will be allowed to repeat that course only once. Students failing to earn a C or better on the second attempt will not be allowed to repeat these courses and will lose their PCBM status in the department.
- Have at least a 2.75 UNT GPA. CBCM majors must maintain a UNT GPA of 2.75. CBCM students whose GPAs fall below this standard will be informed of their status by the RTVF department and may not take any classes in the RTVF department until they return their UNT GPA to 2.75 or better.
Requirements To Enroll in RTVF 1310, RTVF 2210 or CBCM 2400
Students who wish to enroll in RTVF 1310, RTVF 2210 or CBCM 2400 must have active CBCM pre-major (PCBM) status.
To be classified active PCBM:
- Entering freshmen with no college credit must successfully complete at least 12 hours of UNT college core requirements with a UNT GPA of 2.75 or better. Upon completion of this requirement, students may apply to the RTVF department to activate their pre-major status and become eligible to enroll in RTVF 1310 , RTVF 2210 and CBCM 2400 .
- Transfer students with college credit must transfer a minimum of 12 college core hours accepted by UNT with a GPA of 2.75 or better. Students who do not meet this requirement must successfully complete at least 12 hours of college core hours at UNT with a GPA of 2.75 or better. Upon completion of this requirement, students may apply to the RTVF department to activate their pre-major status and become eligible to enroll in RTVF 1310 , RTVF 2210 and CBCM 2400 .
Note: Pre-majors may not register for any upper-level RTVF courses until full-major status is attained.