Jul 22, 2018
Entering students interested in majoring in the College of Visual Arts and Design will be classified as pre-majors.
To be admitted to the art history major (and to be eligible to enroll in advanced art courses), a pre-major must meet all the following requirements:
Complete a minimum of 30 hours of college courses (including the following) and;
- Complete the following with a grade of C or better:
- Complete the Art History Entrance Event;
- Have at least a 2.5 GPA on required ART courses; and
- Have a minimum 2.0 UNT grade point average.
General Degree Requirements
Candidates for the Bachelor of Arts with a major in art history must meet the following requirements.
Hours Required and General/College Requirements:
A minimum of 120 total semester hours, 42 of which must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Arts degree as specified in the “General University Requirements ” in the Academics section of this catalog and the College of Visual Arts and Design requirements.
Completion of at least 48 hours of art to include:
21 hours of advanced art history courses:
(Numbered 4801 through 4844) of which at least 9 hours must be taken from the following group:
(Other AEAH advanced art history courses addressing art before the year 1800 may be substituted with the faculty advisor’s permission)
A minimum of 18 hours, of which 6 must be advanced, from a field outside the College of Visual Arts and Design. Check with the minor department for specific requirements. The art history faculty strongly recommends that students minor in the foreign language relevant to your career plans in art history. Students double-majoring in art history and any other major are not required to have a minor.
Hours required for electives may vary based on course selection and the University Core Curriculum requirements. Electives may be required to satisfy the advanced hour requirement (42) and/or the minimum total hours required for the degree. For specific information see an academic advisor in the College of Visual Arts and Design Student Services Office, Art Building, Room 111.
- 24 advanced hours must be completed at UNT.
- 18 hours of art (including 12 advanced) must be completed at UNT.
- Transfer course work to be substituted for required art courses must be approved by a student’s faculty advisor during the degree plan process.
- A 2.5 grade point average must be maintained in all art courses; only grades of C or better in art courses will count toward degree requirements.