To be eligible for the journalism grad track, students must:
- Have successfully completed 75 or more undergraduate credit hours and be classified as a junior.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5
- Have successfully completed all of the following Journalism courses:
a. (Broadcast/Digital, Print/Digital, Photo Journalism students: JOUR 2310 , JOUR 2300 , JOUR 3321 or JOUR 3323 and JOUR 3300
b. Advertising and Public Relations students: JOUR 2000 and JOUR 2310 ; for advertising students JOUR 3020 and JOUR 3040 ; for public relations students JOUR 3210 and JOUR 3321 .
4. The GRE test is not required for MSOJ Grad Track students.
Once admitted to the pathway program, undergraduate students must take a twelve hours from the following classes after they have completed 90 hours of undergraduate study.
A grade of “B” or better is required in all classes taken for credit in the pathway for the course to count for the master’s degree. Once the BA is completed, these courses may be transferred to the MA or MJ degree.
Undergraduate students who have been accepted to a grad track option should complete all of their bachelor’s degree requirements and graduate within 12 months of the first day of the semester in which they start taking graduate courses or enrollment in graduate level course work will be suspended.
9 credit hours must come from the following (*NOTE* only one of these classes can be taken per term/semester):
- JOUR 5050 Readings in Mass Communication
- JOUR 5040 Media Studies and Theories
- JOUR 5260 Qualitative Research
3 credit hours can come from:
- JOUR 5100 Case Problems in Public Relations
- JOUR 5130 International Advertising and Public Relations Study Abroad
- JOUR 5150 International Mass Communication
- JOUR 5210 Race, Gender and the Media: A Methods Approach
- JOUR 5330 Strategic Social Media
- JOUR 5350 Seminar in Journalism and Mass Communication
- JOUR 5520 Advanced Study in Advertising & Public Relations for Social Good
- JOUR 5550 Principles of Magazine Production: Denton Live
- JOUR 5700 Advanced Feature Writing
- JOUR 5760 International News and Media Study Abroad