Jul 06, 2022
Communication Design admission and pre-major requirements
Entering students interested in pursuing a major in the Design Department in the College of Visual Arts and Design are classified as pre-majors.
To be admitted to the communication design major (and to be eligible to enroll in advanced art courses), a pre-major must meet all of the following requirements.
Complete with a grade of C or better
Specific additional requirements for each concentration are as follows:
- Have at least a 2.75 GPA on required art courses.
- Have a minimum 2.25 UNT grade point average.
Entry Portfolio Review:
- After completing ADES 1500 (as described on the department web site) submit a portfolio into the Communication Design Entry Portfolio Review (held each fall towards the end of the semesters).
- Be selected to begin your concentration path of choice for Freshman and Sophomore design classes.
Sophomore Portfolio Review:
After completing ADES 1510 , ADES 1540 and ADES 2515 (as described on the department web site) submit a portfolio and pass the specific concentration sophomore review.
Hours required and general/college requirements
A minimum of 120 total semester hours of which 42 must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree as specified in the “University Core Curriculum ” in the Academics section of this catalog and the College of Visual Arts and Design requirements.
Completion of at least 75 hours of art to include 21 hours of art core (required for all design majors):
Graphic design concentration
For all students seeking a major in the College of Visual Arts and Design, a grade of C or above must be earned in every art-based course required in the College of Visual Arts and Design (completed in residence or transferred to UNT) to be considered for credit toward a CVAD degree. A grade of D or below will not satisfy any art-based course requirements, electives or prerequisites.
No minor is required.
Hours required for electives may vary based on course selection and the University Core Curriculum Requirements. Electives may be required to satisfy the advanced hour requirement (42) and/or the minimum total hours required for the degree. For specific information see an academic advisor in the College of Visual Arts and Design Student Services Office, Art Building, Room 232.
- 24 advanced hours must be completed at UNT.
- 36 hours of art (including at least 12 advanced hours) must be completed at UNT.
- Transfer course work substituted for required UNT art courses must be approved by a student’s faculty advisor during the degree audit process.
- A 2.5 grade point average must be maintained in all art courses; only a grade of C (2.0) or better in art courses will count toward degree requirements.