Degree requirements and the University Core Curriculum
Occasionally a course required for a degree may also satisfy a requirement of the University Core Curriculum. In addition to taking the required course, a student may elect to take a different course from among those available to fulfill that core requirement; doing so, however, may add to the total number of hours required for the degree. Students who have questions regarding degree requirements and core requirements should consult an academic advisor.
College of Business tiered academic progression plan and academic standards
Undergraduate tiered academic progression plan and admission policy
Tier One: Pre-business (PBUS)
- All students entering the College of Business, whether for a BBA or BS degree, are admitted under pre-business (PBUS), including new, transfer and continuing students. PBUS students must meet with an advisor in CoB Undergraduate Advising (CoBUA) each semester. In addition to the requirements listed below, all pre-business prerequisite courses require a minimum grade of C.
- In order to progress to Tier Two (BUND), PBUS students must have the following:
a) completion of three of the following pre-business prerequisite courses: college-level math (3 hours), ACCT 2010 , ACCT 2020 , ECON 1100 , ECON 1110 , DSCI 2710
b) students must earn a minimum of two Bs and one C in the three courses completed under (a) above
- Once the above eligibility requirements are met, students can apply online or meet with an academic advisor for admission into Tier Two (BUND).
- Tier One students who are unable to progress to Tier Two at the completion of 45 UNT attempted hours (this includes all attempts of all UNT courses) are subject to dismissal from the College of Business. Advisors will consult with each student prior to and at the time of dismissal, and will refer to resources and other UNT programs which can better serve the student’s needs.
- UNT continuing students changing to PBUS from another UNT major, and students transferring from another institution with 45 or more hours, must progress to BUND within two semesters, or will be subject to dismissal from the College of Business.
- PBUS students are restricted to lower-level (1000/2000) business courses.
Tier Two: Business Undergraduate (BUND)
- Tier Two students who have met the requirements of Tier One and have applied to Tier Two status (BUND) must meet the following requirements to progress to Tier Three:
a) completion of at least 45 semester hours
b) completion of the following pre-business prerequisites with a minimum grade of C and a GPA of 2.7 on these nine courses (or equivalents): ENGL 1310 ; ENGL 1320 or TECM 2700 (TECM 2700 required for BS/MS accounting); MATH 1190 or MATH 1710 ; ECON 1100 and ECON 1110 ; ACCT 2010 and ACCT 2020 ; BCIS 2610 ; and DSCI 2710 .
- Once above eligibility requirements are met, BUND students must meet with an advisor to file for an official degree plan and move to Tier Three.
- Tier Two (BUND) students are restricted to lower-level (1000/2000) business courses.
Tier Three: Official BBA/BS declared major with professional field
- Students who meet all requirements for Tier Three receive clearance into upper level (3000/4000) business courses (business foundation and professional field) after meeting with an advisor to file for the official degree plan (BBA or BS with declared professional field).
- Students in Tier Three are strongly encouraged to meet with their departmental advisor when possible. Tier Three students must meet degree and graduation requirements as outlined under College of Business Academic Standards.
- Tier Three students must apply for graduation by the deadline posted in the Academic Calendar.
College of Business academic standards
- Students must complete the tiered academic progression plan as outlined above.
- A grade of C or above must be earned in each business foundation course and each professional field or supporting field course completed in residence or transferred to UNT.
- Degree progress and major dismissal:
- Students who have been accepted to a business degree program must maintain satisfactory progress. Declared business majors are subject to dismissal from a business degree program and may not be permitted to enroll for additional courses in that major if they receive any combination of grades of D or F in two attempts of the same course in the professional field and supporting courses in their degree plan.
- Academic requirements for graduation with a BBA or BS from the College of Business include:
- a minimum of 2.0 UNT cumulative GPA (all courses completed at UNT)
- a minimum 2.0 overall GPA (combined UNT and transfer GPA)
- Individual departments may have higher graduation and/or entrance standards (see departmental sections of catalog).
Individual courses of instruction are subject to change or withdrawal at any time and may not be offered each term/semester or every year. Any course may be withdrawn from current offerings if the number of registrants is too small to justify conducting it.
Enrollment in advanced courses requires successful completion of the pre-business requirements.
WARNING: It is the student’s responsibility to meet all course prerequisites listed in the current catalog prior to enrollment in any course.
Graduate course descriptions are found in the Graduate Catalog.
Courses numbered 4900-4910 are offered under limited circumstances to advanced undergraduate students who are capable of developing a problem independently. These courses require approval by the department chair. A project is chosen by the student and instructor, developed through conferences and approved activities under the direction of the instructor, and may require a term paper. These courses are not open to graduate students.
Courses are offered on an availability basis as service courses to non-business majors who meet the individual course prerequisites.
All Courses of Instruction are located in Course descriptions .