May 24, 2019
In addition to the university admission requirements, applicants to the College of Visual Arts and Design must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Freshman applicants must have a verbal SAT score of 450 or higher, or an English ACT score of 18 or higher.
- Transfer applicants (including those transferring from another major within the university) must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
Students who do not meet the minimum requirements listed above may submit a one-page support document/images that may be taken into consideration during the admission process. At the time of the application, this optional document/images should be submitted to https://cvadforms.unt.edu/cvad-entry-requirements. Applicants admitted under these circumstances will be admitted on a conditional basis. They will be required to earn a GPA of 2.5 during their first semester to continue as a major or pre-major in the college.
Communication Design admission and pre-major requirements
Entering students interested in majoring in the College of Visual Arts and Design are classified as pre-majors.
To be admitted to the communication design major (and to be eligible to enroll in advanced art courses), a pre-major must meet all of the following requirements.
30 hours of college courses
Complete a minimum of 30 hours of college courses (including the following).
Complete with a grade of C or better
Submit an entry portfolio (as described on the department web site) to the Communication Design Entry Portfolio Review and have been admitted prior to starting the Communication Design Freshman and Sophomore studio sequence.
Submit a portfolio (as described on the department web site) and pass the Communication Design Mid-Point Portfolio Review during the sophomore year.
- Have at least a 2.75 GPA on required art courses.
- Have a minimum 2.25 UNT grade point average.
Hours required and general/college requirements
A minimum of 120 total semester hours of which 42 must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree as specified in the “University Core Curriculum ” in the Academics section of this catalog and the College of Visual Arts and Design requirements.
Completion of at least 75 hours of art to include 21 hours of art core (required for all design majors):
Concentration in User- Experience Design core
Other required courses
6 hours selected from:
For all students seeking a major in the College of Visual Arts and Design, a grade of C or above must be earned in every art-based course required in the College of Visual Arts and Design (completed in residence or transferred to UNT) to be considered for credit toward a CVAD degree. A grade of D or below will not satisfy any art-based course requirements, electives or prerequisites.
No minor is required.
Usually 9 hours (6 advanced). Hours required for electives may vary based on course selection and the University Core Curriculum Requirements. Electives may be required to satisfy the advanced hour requirement (42) and/or the minimum total hours required for the degree. For specific information see an academic advisor in the College of Visual Arts and Design Student Services Office, Art Building, Room 111.
- 24 advanced hours must be completed at UNT.
- 36 hours of art (including at least 12 advanced hours) must be completed at UNT.
- Transfer course work substituted for required UNT art courses must be approved by a student’s faculty advisor during the degree audit process.
- A 2.5 grade point average must be maintained in all art courses; only a grade of C (2.0) or better in art courses will count toward degree requirements.