May 24, 2019
The mission of the drawing and painting concentration is to provide a comprehensive educational program designed to lay a solid foundation of basic skills and concepts, to foster critical thinking, and to inspire creativity so that each student may find his or her own aesthetic voice and develop a sustainable studio practice.
In addition to the university admission requirements, applicants to the College of Visual Arts and Design must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Freshman applicants must have a verbal SAT score of 450 or higher, or an English ACT score of 18 or higher.
- Transfer applicants (including those transferring from another major within the university) must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
Students who do not meet the minimum requirements listed above may submit a one-page support document/images that may be taken into consideration during the admission process. At the time of the application, this optional document/images should be submitted to https://cvadforms.unt.edu/cvad-entry-requirements. Applicants admitted under these circumstances will be admitted on a conditional basis. They will be required to earn a GPA of 2.5 during their first semester to continue as a major or pre-major in the college.
General degree requirements
Candidates for the Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree with a major in studio art will meet the following requirements:
Hours required and general/college requirements
A minimum of 120 total semester hours of which 42 must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree as specified under the “General University Requirements ” in the Academic section of this catalog and the College of Visual Arts and Design requirements.
Completion of at least 78 hours of arts to include a minimum of 18 hours in a prescribed field and 24 hours of art core (required for all studio majors):
Drawing and Painting concentration
Art electives, 12 hours
12 hours (6 advanced) of art electives.
- Entry review administered after ASTU 2215 .
- Intermediate review administered after ASTU 3212 or ASTU 3220 .
- Exit review conducted during final enrollment in a 4000-level drawing or painting course.
For all students seeking a major in the College of Visual Arts and Design, a grade of C or above must be earned in every art-based course required in the College of Visual Arts and Design—completed in residence or transferred to UNT—to be considered for credit towards a CVAD degree. A grade of D or below will not satisfy any art-based course requirements, electives or prerequisites.
No minor is required.
Hours required for electives may vary based on course selection and the University Core Curriculum Requirements. Electives may be required to satisfy the advanced hour requirement (42) and/or the minimum total hours required for the degree. For specific information see an academic advisor in the College of Visual Arts and Design Student Services Office, Art Building, Room 111.
- 24 advanced hours must be completed at UNT.
- 36 hours of art (including at least 12 advanced hours) must be completed at UNT.
- Transfer course work substituted for required UNT art courses must be approved by a student’s faculty advisor during the degree audit process.
- A 2.5 grade point average must be maintained in all art courses; only a grade of C (2.0) or better in art courses will count toward degree requirements.