Dec 11, 2017
In the Mayborn School of Journalism, you learn to communicate and tell stories relevant to society’s needs. The digital and print journalism concentration focuses on news reporting and trains you in digital practices currently employed in the industry.
Hours required and general/college requirements
A minimum of 120 semester hours, of which 42 must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Arts degree as specified in the “General University Requirements ” in the Academics section of this catalog and the Mayborn School of Journalism requirements.
46 semester hours in journalism in advertising, public relations, digital and print journalism, broadcast and digital journalism, or photojournalism. Students may take no more than 48 hours in journalism. Check catalog for prerequisites before enrolling in any advanced course.
Journalism foundation requirements
The following requirements are prerequisites for all advanced journalism courses:
- Complete the following with a 2.0 cumulative UNT GPA:
- The journalism math requirement for all concentrations:
- The university English composition requirement with a grade of C or better.
- Students must pass the grammar, spelling and punctuation (GSP) exam to be permitted to enroll in JOUR 2310. Students who transfer credit for JOUR 2310 must take the grammar, spelling and punctuation (GSP) exam during their first term/semester at UNT.
Digital and print journalism concentration
46 semester hours in journalism.
Foundation courses, 9 hours
Writing/reporting/editing, 3 hours
Advanced writing/reporting/editing, 6 hours
One required course:
Plus 3 hours selected from
Visual journalism, 9 hours
One required course:
Plus 6 hours selected from
Critical thinking course, 3 hours
Professional application course, 1 hour
9 additional hours
9 additional hours selected from advanced writing/reporting/editing, critical thinking, visual journalism or professional application courses listed above or selected from:
Other course requirements
An 18-hour minor outside the Mayborn School of Journalism.
Hours required for electives may vary based on course selection and the University Core Curriculum requirements. Electives may be required to satisfy the advanced hour requirement and/or the minimum total hours required for the degree. For specific information, see an academic advisor in the Mayborn School of Journalism.
Students majoring in journalism are required to maintain a 2.0 cumulative UNT GPA to enroll in journalism courses and have a 2.5 journalism GPA in order to graduate.
- A grade of C or higher is required for all journalism courses to be applied toward the major/minor degree requirements.
- No more than 12 semester hours of journalism credit will be accepted from a transfer student who is entering with fewer than 75 semester credit hours. For students transferring with 75 or more semester credit hours, a maximum of 18 transfer journalism hours will be accepted for credit toward the bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of 72 semester credit hours must be completed outside of journalism. These 72 semester credit hours may not include MRTS.