Oct 17, 2018
A concentration in advertising from the Mayborn School of Journalism emphasizes advertising. You will graduate with competitive visual creative skills gained from extensive hands-on experience working in state-of-the-art technology labs and with different media.
Hours required and general/college requirements
A minimum of 120 semester hours, of which 42 must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Arts degree as specified in the “General University Requirements ” in the Academics section of this catalog and the Mayborn School of Journalism requirements.
46 semester hours in journalism in advertising, public relations, digital and print journalism, broadcast and digital journalism, or photojournalism. Students may take no more than 48 hours in journalism. Check catalog for prerequisites before enrolling in any advanced course.
Journalism foundation requirements
The following requirements are prerequisites for all advanced journalism courses:
- Complete the following with a 2.0 cumulative UNT GPA:
- The journalism math requirement for all concentrations:
- The university English composition requirement with a grade of C or better.
- Students must pass the grammar, spelling and punctuation (GSP) exam to be permitted to enroll in JOUR 2310. Students who transfer credit for JOUR 2310 must take the grammar, spelling and punctuation (GSP) exam during their first term/semester at UNT.
46 semester hours in journalism.
Foundation courses, 9 hours
Upper-level course requirements
Visual communication courses, 6 hours
Critical thinking course, 3 hours
Audience analysis course, 3 hours
Campaigns course, 3 hours
Professional application courses, 6 hours
And 3 hours selected from
Internship/practicum, 1 hour
9 additional hours
9 additional hours selected from professional application, internship/practicum, or selected from:
Other course requirements
Business concentration, 18 hours
Or, another 18 hour minor
Must be outside the Mayborn School of Journalism.
Hours required for electives may vary based on course selection and the University Core Curriculum requirements. Electives may be required to satisfy the advanced hour requirement and/or the minimum total hours required for the degree. For specific information, see an academic advisor in the Mayborn School of Journalism.
Students majoring in journalism are required to maintain a 2.0 cumulative UNT GPA to enroll in journalism courses and have a 2.5 journalism GPA in order to graduate.
- A grade of C or higher is required for all journalism courses to be applied toward the major/minor degree requirements.
- No more than 12 semester hours of journalism credit will be accepted from a transfer student who is entering with fewer than 75 semester credit hours. For students transferring with 75 or more semester credit hours, a maximum of 18 transfer journalism hours will be accepted for credit toward the bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of 72 semester credit hours must be completed outside of journalism. These 72 semester credit hours may not include MRTS.