May 27, 2018
A Bachelor of Fine Arts with a major in dance exposes you to a broad range of dance techniques that prepare you for Master of Fine Arts programs. With additional course work, the program can also help you to become a certified teacher.
The following requirements must be satisfied for a Bachelor of Fine Arts with a major in dance.
Hours required and general/college requirements
A minimum of 120 semester hours, of which 42 must be advanced, and fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree as specified in the “University Core Curriculum ” in the Academics section of this catalog.
A BFA degree with a major in dance requires a minimum of 76 hours in dance, including:
Dance technique courses, 29 hours
A minimum of 29 hours in dance technique consisting of:
Modern dance technique, 12 hours
Ballet technique, 12 hours
Plus 2 additional hours from
Creative studies, 9 hours
Required courses, 9 hours
Professional preparation, 17 hours
Hours required for electives may vary based on course selection and the University Core Curriculum requirements. Electives may be required to satisfy the advanced hour requirement (42) and/or the minimum total hours required for the degree. For specific information see an academic advisor in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.
- Entrance auditions and applications are required for admission to be a major in the dance program. Students are expected to enter the program on level III technique in Modern and Ballet as assessed by the departmental auditions. Further information is available at www.danceandtheatre.unt.edu concerning time, date and place. DANC 1100 , DANC 1200 and DANC 2800 are open to all students in the university without restriction and satisfy University Core requirements.
- Continuing dance majors enrolled in DANC 1400 , DANC 1410 , DANC 2400 , DANC 2410 , DANC 3400 , DANC 3410 , DANC 4400 and DANC 4410 must be enrolled for two consecutive semesters at the same level within an academic year. Students are expected to enter the program on level III technique in Modern and Ballet as assessed by the departmental auditions. Transfer students entering the spring semester will be evaluated individually. Advancement to higher level technique classes is through teacher recommendation.
- Transfer course work to be substituted for required dance courses must be approved by a student’s academic advisor during the degree audit process.
- Students majoring in dance must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 in dance courses, make a B or better in all dance technique courses and at least a C in all other courses comprising the major.
- Students who miss the first day of class without consent of the instructor are subject to be administratively dropped from the course so that other students may be added. Students who miss the first day of class because of illness or some other acceptable excuse must notify the instructor on record the day of the absence.
- Students must observe prerequisites for each dance course. If a student has not completed the prerequisites for a particular course, the student is subject to administrative drop without notice. Prerequisites are listed with individual course descriptions.
At the end of each term/semester, students will be reviewed by the dance faculty to determine eligibility to continue in the BFA program.