Dec 03, 2022
As a student pursuing the Bachelor of Science with a major in merchandising, you become skilled in consumer studies, textiles, fashion theory, trend analysis, brand development, and promotion. This curriculum was developed in consultation with leaders of the Dallas-Fort Worth retail industry to give you the essential skills for the job market.
Admission and pre-major requirements
All students entering UNT who wish to pursue the Bachelor of Science with a major in merchandising enter as pre-majors. Before applying to major status, pre-majors must complete at least 30 hours of college course work, including the following:
Minimum grade of C required in each course.
A total of 49 hours including the following courses:
Plus 12 hours to be selected from
Other course requirements
Complete all six hours of the Communication (English Composition and Rhetoric) requirement of the University Core Curriculum.
Students must complete ECON 1100 , MATH 1680 or MATH 1681 and have a minimum of 45 hours completed before being allowed to enroll in the required upper-division business course. ACCT 2010 and ACCT 2020 must have grades of C or better.
Two business option minors of 18 hours each:
Option 1 (Business Foundations minor)
Option 2 (Marketing minor)
If a student chooses Option 2 (marketing minor), 3 of the 6 free elective hours must be ACCT 2010 with a grade of C or better.
- It is required that students entering the College of Merchandising, Hospitality and Tourism have a minimum grade point average of at least 2.5 on all courses completed at UNT.
- A grade of C or above must be earned in each merchandising and hospitality management course completed in residence or transferred to UNT. This includes all courses with prefixes CMHT, MDSE, HFMD, DRTL and HMGT.
- Academic requirements for graduation with a BS from the College of Merchandising, Hospitality and Tourism include:
- a minimum of 2.50 grade point average in the professional field, with minimum grades of C required in all CMHT, MDSE, HFMD, DRTL and HMGT courses;
- a minimum of 2.50 grade point average in all courses completed at UNT; and
- a minimum of 2.50 grade point average in all work attempted, including transfer, correspondence, extension and residence work.