Feb 23, 2024
Routes to certification for graduate students
School library certification varies from state to state, but completion of the courses listed below meets general curricular requirements in all states. In Texas, the requirements to work as a school librarian are:
- two years experience as an early childhood–12th grade classroom teacher;
- a master’s degree (any major);
- completion of a state-approved program in librarianship (courses in the list below must be no more than 6 years old when application is made for school library certification); and
- passing score on the TExES (exam administered by the State of Texas).
Students may pursue school library certification alone or as part of the master’s degree program in the Department of Library and Information Sciences.
School library certification program only
Prospective students must be admitted to the Toulouse Graduate School, which requires a graduate school application and official transcripts from prior colleges or universities. Students who complete the school library certification program and later apply for admission to the master’s program will be required to submit additional materials (see Library Science, MS).
Students are strongly encouraged to take courses in the sequence shown.
Practicum (SLIS 5090) is required for all school library certification students. Every student must spend time in a school library under the mentorship of a qualified school librarian, who signs off on each item of the official proficiency checklist.
A grade of B or better in all courses is required for certification.
School library certification as part of the MS
Students who pursue school library certification as part of the Master of Science program in the Department of Library and Information Sciences must meet all requirements of the master’s program.
- Submit all required application materials for the master’s program.
- Meet admission standards for the master’s program.
- Complete a total of 36 credit hours (12 courses) including the three required core courses and nine electives. The electives include eight of the nine courses in the school library certification sequence plus one additional course. The required school library certification practicum (SLIS 5090) does not count toward the master’s degree.
- Earn a grad of B or better in the master’s program core courses and all courses required for certification.
- During the final semester before graduation, apply for, take and pass the End-of-Program comprehensive examination.
For more information and course lists, see Library Science, MS and the department web site at lis.unt.edu.