Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    University of North Texas
    Jul 14, 2024  
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Department of Rehabilitation and Health Services

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Health and Public Service

Main Office
Chilton Hall, Room 218

Mailing address:
1155 Union Circle #311456
Denton, TX 76203-5017
Fax: 940-565-3960

Web site:​

Rachita Sharma, Interim Chair
Bradley McDaniel, Coordinator of Undergraduate Rehabilitation Program 
Justin Watts, Coordinator of Graduate Rehabilitation Program



The Department of Rehabilitation and Health Services offers three undergraduate degree programs in addiction studies, public health and a long-standing degree in rehabilitation studies. In addition to the BS degrees, the department offers minors in public health, rehabilitation studies, addiction studies, and applied gerontology. The department also offers two certificate programs: one in rehabilitation studies and the other in substance use treatment. Students who complete a BS in rehabilitation studies are eligible for the State of Texas Qualified Mental Health Provider-Community Services (QMHP-CS) credential. Comparatively, students who complete either the major or the minor in addiction studies are eligible to take the test for licensing as a chemical dependency counselor (LCDC) in the state of Texas.

Upon graduation, students are qualified for positions in a variety of nonprofit, governmental and for-profit programs serving individuals with mental health concerns, substance use disorders, intellectual and developmental disabilities and physical disabilities. Labor market trends forecast continued growth in human service professions. The undergraduate degrees also prepare students for entry into graduate programs in rehabilitation counseling, often with advanced standing.

The department’s undergraduate programs are structured to meet the needs and interests of students transferring from community colleges. The 30-hour major is designed to allow students the opportunity to carefully select complimentary electives or to specialize in specific areas of rehabilitation such as substance use treatment. Our college advisors can assist students in determining the best electives, minors and/or certificates available to meet their career objectives. Transfer students receive close advising to facilitate articulation and to maximize their credits.

Extensive practical experience in community placements is combined with comprehensive classroom curricula to build an in-depth and well-rounded program. Students are able to receive highly individualized academic support from instructors. We require our students to engage in service learning and professional activities to gain experience and develop their skills. To this end, we have three active student organizations – North Texas Rehabilitation Association, Active Minds and Eagle Peer Recovery – that students can participate in during their academic career.

A College of Health and Public Service degree program advisor plays a significant role in the development of a degree plan that meets the individual student’s needs and interests.

Programs of study

The department offers an undergraduate majors in addiction studies, public health rehabilitation studies; minors; and undergraduate academic certificates. (See the complete list, below.)


  • Addiction Studies, BS
  • Public Health, BS
  • Rehabilitation Studies, BS
  • Rehabilitation Studies, BS with grad track option leading to Rehabilitation Counseling, MS



  • Addiction Studies
  • Applied Gerontology
  • Public Health
  • Rehabilitation Studies


Undergraduate Academic Certificates

  • Applied Gerontology
  • Rehabilitation Studies
  • Substance Use Disorders Treatment

Rehabilitation scholarships

Students majoring in rehabilitation studies are eligible to apply for the Ken Miner Scholarship, the Fort Worth TRA Scholarship and the Dan Minahan Memorial Scholarship. Applications are available on the department website. Students interested in applying for these scholarships should contact the department.


    MajorsGrad Track OptionsMinorsUndergraduate Academic Certificates


      Addiction StudiesApplied GerontologyPublic HealthRehabilitation

      Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Health and Public Service