Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    University of North Texas
    Dec 05, 2022  
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog 
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Department of Rehabilitation, Social Work and Addictions

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Public Affairs and Community Service

Main Office
Chilton Hall, Room 218

Mailing address:
1155 Union Circle #311456
Denton, TX 76203-5017
Fax: 940-565-3960

Web site:

Linda Holloway, Chair
Brandi Darensbourg, Director of Undergraduate Rehabilitation Program
Cecilia Thomas, Director of Social Work Program



The Department of Rehabilitation, Social Work and Addictions offers a graduate degree in rehabilitation counseling. Undergraduate degrees are offered in human service management and leadership (BS), rehabilitation studies (BS) [Dallas only] and in social work (BSW). In addition, a minor and two different certificates in substance abuse and addictions and one certificate in rehabilitation studies are available.

Upon graduation, students are qualified for positions in a variety of human service settings, including mental health centers, hospitals, programs serving individuals in intellectual disabilities, rehabilitation programs, child welfare settings, correctional facilities, aging programs, community living facilities, private nonprofit human service programs and alcohol and drug abuse programs, among others. Labor market trends forecast continued growth in human service professions. The undergraduate degrees also prepare students for entry into graduate programs in rehabilitation or social work, often with advanced standing.

The department’s undergraduate programs are structured to meet the needs and interests of students transferring from community colleges. Transfer students receive close advising to facilitate articulation.

Extensive practical experience in community placements is combined with comprehensive classroom curricula to build an in-depth and well-rounded program. A low faculty/student ratio allows students to receive highly individualized academic support from instructors. A College of Public Affairs and Community Service degree program advisor plays a significant role in the development of a degree plan that meets the individual student’s needs and interests.

Social work graduates are eligible to take the examination for licensure as a social worker by the State of Texas. Students completing either degree program can meet the educational portion of the requirements for licensure as a chemical dependency counselor.

Programs of Study

The department offers undergraduate programs in the following areas:

The department also offers minors in human service management and leadership  (available only at UNT Dallas), human services , rehabilitation studies , and drug abuse and addiction , as well as certificates in rehabilitation studies , substance abuse treatment , and drug and alcohol studies .

Rehabilitation Scholarships

Students majoring in rehabilitation studies are eligible to apply for the Rehabilitation Services Administration scholarship, available only to undergraduate and graduate students majoring in rehabilitation. Applications are available in the departmental office. Students interested in applying for these scholarships should contact the department.

Graduate Study

The department offers a graduate program in the following area:

  • Master of Science with a major in rehabilitation counseling.

For complete information, consult the Graduate Catalog.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Public Affairs and Community Service