Main Departmental Office
Discovery Park, Room B270
1155 Union Circle #310470
Denton, TX 76203-5017
Web site: www.ee.unt.edu
Shengli Fu, Chair
The Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of North Texas provides an innovative program in electrical engineering, combining cognitive skills, industry-university joint projects and business skills with courses that form the foundation of the electrical engineering discipline. Combining theory and practice, the curriculum is designed to serve the citizens and industries in Texas, particularly the North Texas region, and the nation.
The department is housed in a facility designed to promote intellectual and scholarly endeavors of faculty and students. The department currently offers a Bachelor of Science degree and a Master of Science degree, each with a major in electrical engineering. In conjunction with Texas Woman’s University, the department offers a dual Bachelor of Science degree with majors in electrical engineering and mathematics. It also offers an undergraduate minor in electrical engineering. Research interests of the faculty include digital signal processing; image processing; pattern recognition; wireless sensor networks; systems and control; analog, RF and mixed signal design; VLSI design; wireless communication.
The department received support from the National Science Foundation to offer an “Innovative Design- and Project-Oriented Electrical Engineering Program” under the Department-Level Reform initiative.
The electrical engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET (415 North Charles Street,, Baltimore, MD 21201; 410-347-7700).
The Department of Electrical Engineering constantly strives to further the mission of the University of North Texas. The program educational objectives of the Bachelor of Science with a major in electrical engineering program (BSEE program) have been developed to accomplish the university mission.
Program Educational Objectives
- Our graduates will be productive and valuable professionals in electrical engineering and related fields.
- Our graduates will engage in life-long learning demonstrated by advanced education/degrees, professional development activities, and/or other career-enhancing activities.
- Our graduates will be successful in taking leadership roles at various levels in their professional careers in academia or industry.
Our innovative bachelor’s program is designed to satisfy the ABET criteria for accreditation of engineering programs.
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Science with a major in electrical engineering program, students will be able to achieve the following outcomes:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, engineering and science.
- Design and develop projects, and conduct experiments to verify and validate them, as well as analyze and interpret data.
- Develop project-based learning skills through design and implementation of a system, component or process that meets the needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability.
- Function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
- Have an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Communicate effectively.
- Achieve broad education necessary to understand the impact of electrical engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context.
- Understand learning processes and concepts of learning to learn, and engage in lifelong learning.
- Achieve knowledge of contemporary issues.
- Use techniques, skills and computer-based tools for conducting experiments and carrying out designs.
The BSEE program curriculum is designed to ensure that each undergraduate course achieves one or more of the above outcomes, and the curriculum, as a whole, achieves all student outcomes. Additionally, the undergraduate curriculum aims to enrich our students’ educational experience at UNT.
Research and scholarship
In order to accomplish the objectives in pursuing excellence in scholarly and applied research, the faculty of the department is committed to:
- establishing high standards for research and scholarship,
- fostering excellence and diversity in research,
- creating an inspiring academic environment for the students through integration of research and education, and
- serving the society and the profession through technological advances in basic and applied research.
ProgramsMajorsGrad Track OptionsDual DegreesMinors