Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    Jun 24, 2024  
2017-2018 Graduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

College of Education

Main Office
Matthews Hall, Room 214
Fax: 940-565-4415

Web site:

Student Advising Office
Gwenn Pasco, Senior Assistant Dean

Matthews Hall, Room 105

Mailing Address:
1155 Union Circle #311337
Denton, TX 76203-5017

Web site:

Randy Bomer, Dean

Bertina Combes, Associate Dean
Lisbeth Dixon-Krauss, Associate Dean


The College of Education prepares professionals and scholars who contribute to the advancement of education, health and human development.


We aspire to be leaders known regionally, nationally and internationally for our expertise and excellence in research, teaching, outreach, and solutions for education and human well being. Through our efforts we improve the lives of the citizens of Texas, the nation and the world.


We generate research, disseminate knowledge and prepare a diverse body of scholars. Our graduates become leaders in their fields while enhancing the development and effective functioning of individuals, schools and families.

We improve professional teaching and learning for K–12 schools. Helping teachers teach and students learn is central to our mission. We work with schools and school systems to prepare effective teachers and other professionals who help all students learn; and prepare principals, superintendents, and other school leaders to help in achieving this goal.

We develop leaders for community colleges and universities. We provide education and professional development for individuals who serve as administrators, faculty, and scholars in higher education institutions, governmental agencies, policy or research centers, and professional associations that conduct post-secondary education in the United States and globally.

We improve the functioning of individuals in their physical, health, and leisure behaviors. We accomplish this through the academic preparation of professionals, contributions to the professional body of knowledge, and provision of service to the university and community at large and through programs which facilitate an enhanced quality of life.

We prepare counselors who serve the public and humanity at large. We prepare highly competent counseling professionals for work in schools, communities, colleges, business, and industry. Our research seeks to use counseling for developing holistic wellness with at-risk and diverse populations. We provide humanitarian assistance to academic, professional and public communities.

We prepare family and child development experts who serve the community and society. We help families interact effectively with schools and other community agencies to improve life and promote well being.

The college offers 12 master’s and 7 doctoral degree majors in four academic departments. These departments are Counseling and Higher Education; Educational Psychology; Kinesiology, Health Promotion and Recreation; and Teacher Education and Administration. This arrangement provides graduate students with opportunities for collaborative research and interdisciplinary course work.

Prospective graduate students are expected to meet all admission requirements of the Toulouse Graduate School, the College of Education, and the selected graduate degree program within the college. Admission to the individual programs is done through a holistic review of the application portfolio of each candidate. Some financial support for graduate student teaching and research is available from the programs and from the College. External grants and faculty research funds are administered by the Office of Research and Academic Grants. The areas of research are described by each department.

The College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) (2010 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20036-1023; 202-466-7496) and the State Board for Educator Certification. The program in counselor education is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) (5999 Stevenson Avenue, 4th Floor; Alexandria, VA 22304; 703-823-4800, ext. 301). The program in recreation and leisure studies is accredited by the National Recreation and Park Association/American Association of Leisure and Recreation Council on Accreditation (22377 Belmont Ridge Road, Ashburn, VA 20148; 703-858-0784).

Programs of study

Doctor of Education

  • Educational Leadership  
  • Higher Education  

Doctor of Philosophy

  • Counseling  
  • Curriculum and Instruction  
  • Educational Research  
  • Educational Leadership  
  • Higher Education  
  • Special Education  

Master of Education

  • Counseling  
  • Curriculum and Instruction  
  • Educational Leadership  
  • Higher Education  
  • Secondary Education  
  • Special Education  

Master of Science

  • Counseling  
  • Early Childhood Studies  
  • Educational Psychology  
  • Kinesiology  
  • Recreation and Leisure Studies  

Time-to-degree completion

Graduate students in the College of Education are expected to complete their degrees in a timely manner. In the following table, part-time students are those who, for most semesters, take fewer than 9 hours each long semester; full-time students take 9 or more hours each long semester. Note that this is not the definition of full-time students used for financial aid qualifications.) Students are not required to take courses in the summer semesters, but should still finish in the expected time period for their degree.

  Expected years to completion
Hours on degree plan Part-time student Full-time student
36–44 4 years 2.5 years
45–59 5 years 3 years
60–71 6 years 4 years
72+ 7 years 5 years


All degrees are expected to be completed in the time frames outlined in these procedures. Failure to complete the degree in the designated time limit may result in dismissal from the program.

Occasionally, students have legitimate reasons for needing more time to complete their degrees. Students who exceed the COE Expected Time-to-Completion may request an extension of up to one year. The student submits this request in writing to one’s major professor or program advisor. The recipient of the request, in consultation with the student’s advisory or dissertation committee or, if no committee is designated, with one other faculty member, decides whether or not to endorse the request. If the request is endorsed, the request is forwarded to the chair of the department for endorsement and on to the COE Dean for Academic Affairs for approval. Students for whom exigent circumstances arise during their degree programs are expected to take a leave of absence rather than just discontinuing course work. Both the COE and the Graduate School time-to-degree limits begin with the student’s first semester of enrollment; no student may exceed the Graduate School degree limit including time on leaves of absence.

Filing a degree plan

Each graduate degree student must file a degree plan no later than completion of the 21st semester credit hour for doctoral students and the 15th hour for master’s degree students. All hours taken after admission to the degree count towards this requirement. A continuing student who does not submit a degree plan within the hours required will be blocked from enrollment the following semester. A student who has not filed a degree plan after their one blocked semester will be dismissed from the program.

Continuous enrollment

Continuous enrollment refers to enrollment in at least 1 semester credit hour of course work each long (fall and spring) semester.

Doctoral students

A continuing doctoral student must be in continuous enrollment in the long semesters between the semester of the first course applicable to the degree and the completion of the degree. A continuing student who does not maintain continuous enrollment will be warned in writing of the need for continuous enrollment and, if circumstances warrant, recommended they apply for a leave of absence. If the same student continues with this pattern of non-enrollment and has a second long semester in which one is neither on a leave of absence nor taking classes, the student will be dismissed from the program.

Master’s students

A continuing master’s degree student is encouraged, but not required to maintain continuous enrollment from the point of admission.

Leave of absence

A continuing student who is experiencing exigent circumstances that temporarily prevent progress on the degree may request a leave of absence for up to one year. The student must make the request for a leave in writing to the major professor or advisor. If no major professor has been assigned, the student submits the request to the program coordinator.

If a leave is granted, the major professor/advisor notifies the program coordinator who notifies the Graduate School. Doctoral candidates—those who have passed the qualifying exam and who are required to enroll continuously in dissertation during each subsequent long semester—must also request directly from the Graduate School a waiver of continuous enrollment in dissertation. During an approved leave, the COE continuous enrollment requirements are suspended, and the duration of the leave is added to the COE time limit for degree completion.

A student who needs more time may request one or more additional leaves from the college. Approved college leave does not extend the Graduate School’s limit for total time to degree completion.

Graduate advising

For general information, contact the Toulouse Graduate School. For specific requirements for graduate degrees, contact the appropriate department chair or graduate advisor.

At least once a year, the graduate student’s advisor/major professor reviews the student’s progress toward degree with regard to submitting the degree plan, best course selections for the next semesters, continuous enrollment, time to degree completion, thesis, capstone, dissertation work, etc.

Student Advising Office

The Student Advising Office (SAO) and the TExES Advising Office (TAO) assist undergraduate students in the development of their academic plans. Advising staff partner with students to support a productive succession from the beginning of their College of Education experience through the successful completion of their programs, graduation and/or teacher certification. In addition to answering most questions about COE undergraduate programs and policies and procedures, the SAO and TAO staff serve graduate students in the following areas:

  • Admission to the teacher education program for those seeking initial and some advanced educator certification via graduate programs
  • Teacher certification plans for post-baccalaureate initial certification
  • Teacher certification processing

Graduate students needing admission to the teacher education program or other services of the SAO should make an appointment with a graduate advisor early in their graduate career. Normally, these meetings are by appointment only, but limited walk-in advising is available during the regular registration period of the fall and spring semesters. Questions about educator certification are answered by the TAO. The SAO is located in Matthews Hall, Room 105 and the TAO in Matthews Hall, Room 103. To schedule an appointment, call 940-565-2736 or stop at the information desk in Matthews Hall, Room 105. Additionally, students can find information on the services of the SAO and the TAO at or

Degree programs

Prerequisites for the master’s degree

Requirements for full graduate standing are substantially the same as those established for the university, as described in the Admission section of this catalog. Admission to a program is based on a holistic review of the application portfolio. Preregistration and registration are blocked for a second term/semester of enrollment unless formally admitted to a program.

Contact the department chair or graduate program coordinator for the portfolio components required for admission.

Master of Science

This degree prepares qualified students for further graduate work and for leadership positions in education, government, or community and human services agencies, and business and industry.

Degree requirements
  1. The candidate must earn a minimum of 30 semester hours of graduate credit (see individual degrees for exact number). A minor outside the major is required. All hours must be taken at the master’s level or higher (courses numbered 5000 or above if taken at UNT).
  2. A checklist of the process for master’s students is available in the Student Advising Office, Room 105, Matthews Hall, or at
  3. Each program requires the completion of a core of courses that depends upon the major field.
  4. For students not writing a thesis, a comprehensive examination covering the candidate’s field of specialization or a project in lieu of thesis is required, typically during the final term/semester in residence. The examination may be oral, written or both.
  5. For detailed degree requirements, candidates should consult the appropriate program coordinator and the program web site.

Master of Education

The Master of Education is designed to emphasize professional competence and to prepare leaders in certain fields of educational practice, service and inquiry. For professional and other certificates, consult “Graduate Teacher Certification Programs” in this section.

Degree requirements
  1. The candidate must earn a minimum of 36 semester hours of graduate credit. Some programs require more than 36 hours. All hours must be taken at the master’s level or higher (courses numbered 5000 or above if taken at UNT).
  2. A checklist of the process for master’s students is available in the Student Advising Office, Matthews Hall, Room 105 or at
  3. Each program requires the completion of a core of courses that depends upon the major field.
  4. For detailed degree requirements, candidates should consult the appropriate graduate program coordinator and the program web site.
  5. Ordinarily the requirements for the professional certificate can be met in the master’s degree program. When planning the program, students must designate any certificate they seek so appropriate courses are included.

Master’s Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies

College of Education faculty members are involved in the master’s degree with a major in interdisciplinary studies offered by the Toulouse Graduate School. This course of study is unrelated to the undergraduate major in interdisciplinary studies leading to initial teacher certification in grades EC–6 or 4–8. For further information about the degree, consult the Toulouse Graduate School section of this catalog.

Doctor of Philosophy and Doctor of Education

Note: Each program may have additional requirements that take precedence over the general requirements. See each program area for specific program requirements.

General requirements
  1. A minimum of 90 semester hours beyond the bachelor’s degree, or 60 hours beyond the master’s degree, is required (see individual degrees for exact number). Course work beyond the 60-hour minimum ordinarily is required if the student changes the field of specialization when beginning doctoral study.
  2. A checklist for all doctoral students is available in the Student Advising Office, Matthews Hall, Room 105 or in the Graduate Student section of
  3. A maximum of 24 hours beyond the master’s degree may be transferred from other institutions; all such credit must be earned in residence at institutions that offer the doctoral degree. Transfer credit is evaluated for quality and appropriateness for the selected major. All transfer credit must be approved by the candidate’s advisory committee and by the dean of graduate studies.
  4. The mere accumulation of credits does not prepare one for the doctoral degree. Emphasis is placed on the ability of the candidate to demonstrate proficiency in the major field. Leadership, overall scholastic attainment, research ability and formal examinations also are important factors in evaluating competency.
  5. Candidates for doctoral degrees ordinarily are required to select a minor field. A minor is defined as graduate work completed outside the student’s major department or school; however, minors may not be required on certain graduate degrees. Consult subsequent sections of this publication for specific program regulations governing the degree sought.
  6. PhD programs prepare candidates for positions in universities and for community and corporate environments. EdD programs prepare candidates for leadership positions in fields of educational practice and service. Consult the doctoral programs listed within each department for specific definitions and requirements.
Admission requirements
  1. Requirements for full graduate standing are substantially the same as those established for the university, described in the Admission section of this catalog. Admission to the individual program is done through a holistic review of the application portfolio of each candidate.
  2. For degrees with an admission exam, apply for the admission examination prior to completion of 12 semester hours. All applications are available at the departmental web sites.
  3. Complete other program requirements of the major area department.
  4. Meet with the appropriate graduate program coordinator to request an advisory committee, subject to approval by the College of Education and the dean of graduate studies.
  5. Prepare and follow a degree plan with the aid of the advisory committee, to be approved by the advisory committee and dean of graduate studies.

See “Residence requirement” in the Doctoral degree requirements  section.

Qualifying examinations
  1. Written qualifying examination. During the final term/semester of course work and upon completion of all the previously stated requirements, most doctoral students must pass a written qualifying examination. The examination covers the major, minor, educational research and statistics, and related fields. Students must have completed EPSY 6010 and EPSY 6020 or equivalent prior to taking the examination.
  2. Oral qualifying examination. The primary purpose is to ensure an adequate evaluation of the student’s knowledge in the major and minor fields. This examination is conducted by the advisory committee.

Students who pass the qualifying examinations are eligible to continue as candidates for the doctoral degree. Less than satisfactory performance on any one or more phases of the qualifying examinations may result in modification of the degree program, repetition of one or more portions of the examinations, or termination of candidacy for the doctoral degree.

Admission to candidacy

Admission to candidacy is granted by the dean of the Toulouse Graduate School after satisfactory completion of all the above listed requirements.

Dissertation proposal and defense

Upon admission to candidacy and with approval of the advisory committee and at least 10 days after completion of the oral examination, the candidate presents the dissertation proposal to the committee. The application and procedures for scheduling the defense are available in the Student Advising Office, Matthews Hall, Room 105 and in the Graduate Student section of

Approval of data collection methods

Prior to initiating collection of any data, the candidate is required to obtain the necessary approval(s) of the appropriate university committee(s) regarding the use of human subjects and/or use of university computing services. Candidates may obtain the necessary forms to request approval from their departmental office or major professor.


Students are strongly encouraged to create a journal-formatted dissertation. Upon completion of the dissertation and with the approval of the advisory committee, a final oral comprehensive examination of the dissertation is arranged by the major professor, and the complete form is forwarded to the Student Advising Office.

Graduate teacher certification programs

The State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) awards teaching certificates in Texas. Initial certification for educators is divided into categories of early childhood–grade 6, grades 4–8, grades 7–12, or all level. Advanced and supplemental certificates are available in some teaching, administrative or support areas. To obtain initial, advanced or supplemental educator certification, a student must complete all requirements of the certification program to which they were admitted, pass the required state tests (if any), apply for teacher certification with SBEC, and obtain approval for the application from SBEC.

Students who hold a baccalaureate degree but are not certified educators may pursue initial teacher certification alone or in conjunction with an advanced degree. No prior teaching experience is required for enrollment in the post-baccalaureate initial teacher certification options at UNT. Students seeking initial teacher certification in conjunction with a master’s degree must also be admitted to the respective degree program. Some programs have other options and certifications available through use of deficiency plans, which include undergraduate and graduate courses.

Contact the post-baccalaureate advisor for more details.

Initial certification: elementary

  • EC–6 Generalist English as a Second Language  
  • EC–6 Generalist Bilingual  

Initial certification: middle

  • Mathematics Education 4–8 (initial certification without an advanced degree)
  • Science Education 4–8 (initial teacher certification without an advanced degree)

Initial certification: all-level (see academic programs for details)

  • French
  • German
  • Latin
  • Physical Education
  • Spanish
  • Technology Applications
  • All-Level Special Education (Project IMPACT)  
  • Theatre Arts

Initial certification: secondary (6–12)

  • Business and Finance
  • Family and Consumer Science
  • Hospitality, Nutrition and Food Sciences
  • Human Development and Family Studies
  • Physical Sciences

Initial certification: secondary (7–12)

  • Chemistry
  • English, Language Arts and Reading
  • History
  • Journalism
  • Life Sciences
  • Mathematics
  • Mathematics/Physics
  • Physical Sciences
  • Science
  • Social Studies
  • Speech
  • Technology Applications

Initial certification: secondary (8–12)

  • Dance

Initial career and technology certificates

  • Health Science Technology Education  
  • Marketing Education 
  • Trade and Industrial  

Advanced or supplemental certification

  • Master Technology Teacher  
  • Educational Diagnostician  
  • Gifted and Talented (All-Level) Supplemental Certification  
  • Administration Certification, Principal  
  • Administration Certification, Superintendent  
  • Reading Specialist
  • School Librarian
  • Probationary Principal  
  • Probationary Superintendent  

Certification with an advanced degree

Students can obtain certain initial, advanced, and supplemental educator certificates while earning an advanced degree. The department, program and certification available are listed below. The specific requirements for each degree and certification are found in their individual program sections.

Initial certification

Educational Psychology
  • EDSP – Special Education
Teacher Education and Administration
  • Generalist Elementary Education EC–6, Bilingual Generalist EC–6, ESL Generalist EC–6
  • Generalist Elementary Education 4–8, Bilingual Generalist 4–8, ESL Generalist 4–8
  • Secondary Education: all areas offered at UNT except music and art—these are offered in these colleges, not through Teacher Education and Administration

Advanced or supplemental certification

Counseling and Higher Education
  • School Counseling  
Educational Psychology
  • Educational Diagnostician  
  • Gifted and Talented  
  • Special Education
Teacher Education and Administration
  • Administration – Principal, Superintendent
  • Reading – Reading Specialist, Master Reading Teacher

Teacher certification costs

In addition to tuition, fees and course fees established by the university, teacher certification candidates may pay one or more additional fees (check with program or SAO for current fees):

  • Application for Admission to the Toulouse Graduate School
  • One-time fingerprinting and criminal background check for initial certification
  • Certification Deficiency Plan (if applicable)
  • TExES state certification examinations
  • Probationary Teacher Certificate (if applicable)
  • Alternative Teacher Certification Mentorship Fee
  • Standard Teacher Certificate
  • IMPACT Mentoring Fee

Graduate academic certificates

In cooperation with the Toulouse Graduate School, the College of Education offers the following graduate academic certificates for students who hold a baccalaureate degree and meet non-degree seeking graduate admission requirements. Completion of a graduate academic certificate is not the same as the State Board for Educator Certification for teacher certification. Some or all of the courses taken in the academic certificates may count toward an advanced degree; see the specific program areas for more information.

For application information, contact the Toulouse Graduate School by calling 940-565-2383 or visiting the Eagle Student Services Center, Room 354, on the Denton campus. Additional information may be obtained by visiting and navigating to “Graduate Academic Certificates” or visiting

New academic certificates are added continuously. Contact the College of Education at 940-565-4325 for updates to the list of graduate academic certificates below:

  • alternative certification in special education
  • autism intervention
  • behavioral specialist
  • bilingual education
  • community college leadership
  • English as a second language education
  • family, school and community involvement
  • gifted and talented education
  • master reading teacher
  • master writing teacher
  • parent education
  • recreational management
  • secondary teacher certification
  • specialist in re-integration of students with traumatic brain injury
  • teaching and learning specialist for inclusion settings
  • teaching children and youth with mild to moderate disabilities
  • transition specialist in emotional/behavioral disorders

Center for the Study of Educational Reform

This center’s mission is to conduct research and serve as an information clearinghouse on educational reform initiatives. Created in 1990, the center has received grants to conduct a statewide survey on education reform and to conduct research on private and public school choice programs. The center’s present research activities concentrate on investigations of educational policy and curricular and instructional innovations intended to promote academic success of traditionally marginalized student populations, particularly Spanish-speaking immigrants. This new direction will expand the center’s research focus to international collaborations with researchers in Latin America. The center also provides doctoral students with opportunities for dissertation research.

Child and Family Resource Clinic

The Child and Family Resource Clinic (CFRC) is an interdisciplinary diagnostic and remedial clinic serving children, adults and families from the North Texas area. Services offered include interdisciplinary assessment, counseling, reading instruction, speech/language therapy and parent education classes. Fees for all services are based on a sliding scale. CFRC provides clinical training opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students in counseling, reading and speech/language/hearing.


Office for Research and Consulting

The Office for Research and Consulting offers services to graduate students and faculty members in the College of Education. Services include assistance in research design, measurements and analysis of data using either the SPSS or SAS statistical packages. Assistance is also given in the interpretation of computer output and display of data in the form of tables or charts.

Department of Counseling and Higher Education

Go to information for Department of Counseling and Higher Education.

Department of Educational Psychology

Go to information for Department of Educational Psychology.

Department of Kinesiology, Health Promotion and Recreation

Go to information for Department of Kinesiology, Health Promotion and Recreation.

Department of Teacher Education and Administration

Go to information for Department of Teacher Education and Administration.